Singapore Personal Tax 1

1. Am I considered a non-resident if I travel for work outside Singapore for more than half the year?

You are likely to be taxed as a resident in Singapore since your travel is incidental to your Singapore employment. That is, as part of your work here, you need to travel overseas.

2. How is the salary and director's fee to a non-resident director of a Singapore tax resident company taxed?

In general, directors’ remuneration derived from a company resident in Singapore is taxable in Singapore regardless of your physical presence in Singapore, due to the fact that the income was derived in Singapore. Taxable income refers to both cash and non-cash payments and include salary, bonus, director’s fees, accommodation provided, etc.

3. Do I need to pay taxes on my dividend income from my Singapore company?

The following types of dividends are exempt from taxation in Singapore:

  • Dividends from Singapore companies to its shareholders.
  • Foreign dividends received in Singapore. This excludes foreign source income received through partnerships in Singapore.
  • Income distributions from unit trusts and real estate investment trusts (REIT), that are authorised under Section 286 of the Securities and Futures Act (excludes distributions out of franked dividends).

4. Can a Singapore employee who spend less than 183 days here, be taxed as a resident?

That depends on the circumstances. If, for instance, you are employed by a Singapore company as a sales consultant and as a result of frequent business trips you have spent less than 183 days here, you will still be taxed as a resident. However, if you are posted on an offshore project for several months, as a result of which you have spent less than 183 days in Singapore, you will be taxed as a non-resident.

비즈니스 / 컨설팅 문의하기

비즈니스 / 컨설팅 문의하기